Such a great beneficial plant to have fresh from the garden! Cold hardy, dark leaves are delicious and full of nutrients!
As soon as soil can be prepared plant seeds 1/4" deep. Thin to 12" apart. The seedlings removed during thinning are considered baby spinach and are delicious. Plant in early spring and again in fall 2 months before frost is due. When plants produce a central stem with flower heads (bolting), pull up and discard. Great for containers.
- Lifecycle: annual (vegetable)
- Time to Maturity: about 1 1/2 months
- Sun Requirements: sun/part shade
- Spacing: 12" apart
- Depth: 1/2"
- Packet Weight: 2.4g
- Seeds/Oz: 2100
- Ideal Germination Temperature: 45F-60F
- Sowing Method: Direct
- Heirloom Year: 1826 Heirloom